Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thank You Vets - Happy Veterans Day 2013

When I was stationed at what was then known as Fort Lewis, now known as Joint Base Lewis McChord or JBLM for short, we took a trip on Veterans Day out to Orting, Washington where the Washington State Old Soldiers Home is located. It's a home and hospital for Washington residents who are Veterans, who may be in need of assisted living. It was a moving day as I befriended an old marine. I went back to visit him for a few months, he even invited me to his family home for Thanksgiving that year (2009). It was difficult to continue to visit him, as his health declined. But we seemed to have struck up a good friendship so I kept up with my visits until I deployed to Kuwait.

I also made a few trips to the VA hospital in Seattle, where I was honored to meet Augustine Aratani, a WWII veteran and Silver Star recipient from the fame 442nd Regimental Combat Team. He wasn't in good health, but still managed to show me old photographs and shared with me a few war stories.

I made the rounds in the spinal cord injury ward, it wasn't easy to see all those veterans in various states of recovery from back surgeries, or awaiting back surgery. Still, I think that they enjoy visits from their brothers in arms.

Please this year, take a few hours out of your day, head to a local VA hospital or soldiers home and make a few new friends this Veterans Day.

From MyGunDiary.com, thank you Vets!




No comments:

Post a Comment