Saturday, July 28, 2012

Video - Day at the Range with Tula SKS, Three AK47's and a Winchester 94 in .30-30

Enjoyed a great day at Range 15 on Joint Base Lewis McChord, formerly known as Fort Lewis. 

Today my friend Joe and I took out a total of 5 rifles, two models of which I'd never shot and three rifles which had never been shot by anyone ever!

The Winchester 94 in .30-30 is one of the ones that had never been shot before. It's a family heirloom and we think it's a 1970-s era model 94. Today was the first day it had EVER been shot. I took some time to clean it up for Joe last year, I guess it had just been sitting all these years, but today was absolutely the first day it had ever been fired. The lever action takes a little getting used to, but she was a great shooter and something you would definitely consider taking on a hunting trip. That .30-30 round could take down some decent size game!

I always love shooting AK47's. I guess my enthusiasm about AK47's must have rubbed off on Joe because he recently went out and bought his own! He had shot my WASR before, but this was the first time he was shooting his very own. I also took my WASR as well as my new Polish AK47 underfold. All 3 rifles shot nicely, however, Joe's AK had a couple of malfunctions during the first magazine through it. I think because it was brand new and maybe needed a little lube or just needed a couple rounds through it to break it in. But there were no further failures after that first magazine.

The best shooting rifle of the day was hands down, the 1954 Russian Tula SKS. This was our first time ever firing one and it shot like a dream. The action was smooth, very low recoil and it was extremely accurate. The SKS moved right to the top of my list for my current favorite rifle to shoot in my collection.

I hope you enjoy the video, more coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment