Friday, December 14, 2012

Connecticut Tragedy

My sincerest sympathies go out to the families and friends of the victims of the tragic Connecticut school shooting.

There's no question that a debate needs to happen about how best to prevent tragedies like this from ever happening again.

In my humble opinion, there is no way to prevent mass shootings like this from happening. There will always be evil (and insane people) in the world and it's ignorant to think that guns are ever going to disappear. I think that the only way to mitigate and stand up to evil is to have responsible, emotionally intelligent, armed citizens.

The hypothetical situation I am putting out there for debate is this...

What if a teacher at this school had been a concealed weapons permit holder and had been responsibly carrying a weapon at the time of this shooting? Yes, I am proposing the idea that teachers be allowed to conceal carry while at work.

What are the pros and cons of allowing teachers to conceal carry while at work? Or anyone in any profession for that matter.

Responsible, law-abiding citizens who carry arms aren't to be feared. I carry concealed, not because I have any desire to be a vigilante. A person can be vigilant and not be a vigilante.

The good people of the world deserve to have the right to defend themselves against evil (and insane people).

My heart is broken for these innocent victims and for those victims of previous shootings such as in Colorado and Arizona. But practical and pragmatic thought must prevail. Restriction of gun rights, outlawing "assault" weapons and high capacity magazines isn't going to prevent these sorts of tragedies. The reality is that there are far too many guns already in circulation in the world and because of that, new restrictions won't have any effect at all.

The answer lies in improving the overall mental and spiritual health of our society as a whole.

What kind of state of mind must a person be in to kill innocent children? This shooter had to be completely out of his mind! Totally insane, whether temporary or otherwise and that's where the responsible, armed citizen comes into play.

I hope I never, ever end up in a life or death situation where I come face to face with an armed killer, but if I do, I pray that I am legally and responsibly carrying my own weapon so that good, can have a fighting chance against evil.






No comments:

Post a Comment