Saturday, February 18, 2012

My First Full-Sized 1911 - Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded

The joy of owning and shooting a 1911 is hard to put into words. It's like...

There's just something about the classic look and robust feel of a 1911. It's got weight to it, it's got girth and substance. When it goes off it's like a miniature canon that you're in total control of. 

I still don't know why the US Army opted to replace it with the Beretta M9 in 9mm. If I were in a combat situation and had to choose between a sidearm, no doubt about it, I'd want to trust my life to the 1911 and the knock down power of the .45 caliber. In a self-defense situation, sure, the 9mm can do the job, but in combat, you want as much stopping power as you can get your hands on.

Owning a 1911 is a must for any true gun enthusiast, especially an American gun enthusiast. Heck, even the Japanese General Kuribayashi carried one at the Battle of Iwo Jima, a gift from an American collegue (I know y'all watched "Flags of our Fathers", you know the 1911 I'm talking about. 

There's a certain feeling you get when you wield your very own, mighty 1911, you sort of feel like Thor and your 1911 is your MjĂžlner (non-Thor fans might need to Google that).

I chose the Springfield Loaded 1911-A1 for it's classic looks and it's affordable price, I think I paid around $850 for mine. And it's looks truly are classic, rosewood grips and solid stainless steel. 

It was an extremely satisfying drive home from the gun shop that day. Oh, I bought it at Bullseye in downtown Tacoma, one of my favorite shops.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment